Tuesday, July 12, 2011

You're 20 today.

“He would sing Happy Birthday, and he would sing in the loudest, most obnoxious, off-key tone. For him, every day was a birthday.”
Dear Ry,
Happiest Birthday to you! Your birthday is a special time to celebrate the gift of you to the world and to remind you and others how appreciative I am to have you in my life. I am forever thankful for the time we spent together and the countless memories too, for those memories are a comfort now when I lovingly remember you (You are probably laughing at my unintentional rhyme right now). You would be happy to know that your friendship keeps making me a better, stronger person. You showed me that I can function in the face of tragedy. You taught me the vocabulary of grief so I can comfort others when they need it. I never would have asked for it to be this way, but if this is what I can take from it, I will. I can't say it has been easy learning to live without you, but I can say it has been easy loving, laughing, and smiling at the person you became. I cannot thank you enough for the gift of friendship you shared with me, for it was remarkable in every way. Now, I will cut to the chase, since I am most likely embarrassing you with my public sappiness (Even though I know, deep down, that you are a softy). So, Happy 20th Birthday to the best friend anyone could ask for. May today bring tears of joy for you and everyone that has ever loved you, I know I always will. 
Love always,
Laura :)

“Fly free and happy beyond birthdays and across forever, and we'll meet now and then when we wish, in the midst of the one celebration that never can end.”
 I miss you...

No comments:

Post a Comment